Today we have designer Mylene Hillam sharing a fabulous marbled votive holder created with EnviroTex Lite®. This would be a great accent piece for a coffee table or dinner table this fall.
Acrylic paint: Warm White, Hookers Green, Moss Green,Black
Wooden votive holder
ETI Mixing Cup Set
Painters drop sheet (polyethylene)
Denatured Alcohol or Rubbing alcohol for clean-up
Note: Before beginning, put on your gloves to avoid getting sticky while working with the resin. Protect your workspace with the painter’s drop sheet.
1. Use the foam brush to paint all surfaces of the votive holder with Hookers Green. Allow to dry several hours. Mask the bottom of the votive holder with painter's tape and burnish the edges.
2. Follow the package instructions to mix up 2 oz EnviroTex Lite®. Pour ¼ oz into each of the three small cups. Color one with black paint, one with Moss Green and one with Warm White paint, using only enough paint to make the resin opaque and stirring it thoroughly until it is mixed in. Color the remaining resin with only enough Hookers Green to make it opaque.
3. Place the votive holder on some upturned cups to elevate it from the work surface. Pour the green resin over the surface of the votive holder.
4. Use a paintbrush from the cup set to coat the inside of the cavities.
5. Pinch the top of the cup of Moss Green resin and pour it in a thin stream across the votive holder at an angle. Repeat with the Warm White resin. Dip the wooden stir stick into the black paint and drizzle it thinly across the votive holder in the opposite direction. Use a paint brush to swirl the colors lightly. Take care not to over mix them
or they will become muddied.
6. Hold the votive holder vertically to allow the colors to run and blend into each other. Turn it in another direction to create some more movement.
7. Use the stir stick to drizzle some more white resin across the votive holder and then hold it vertically until the colors mix. Once you are satisfied with the look of your marbling, pop any bubbles with a butane torch, then allow to cure for 24 hours.
8. Mix up 1oz of clear EnviroTex Lite® and pour it onto the votive holder. Spread it evenly over the surface and remove any excess from the cavities. Pop the bubbles and set it aside to cure.
9. Carefully remove the tape and touch up any spots where the paint has lifted.
Labels: Envirotex Lite, Home Decor, Marbling, Mylene Hillam