Colorful Cast Resin Window Charms

Today we are excited to have Carmen Flores Tanis
as our guest blogger...

Colorful-Cast-Resin-Window-Charms-by-Carmen-Flores-Tanis-Main


Hi it's Carmen today! Although I have been working with resin for about 10 years, I had never used any ETI products before so I was delighted for the opportunity to create a project using EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy Resin. I thought I'd do a take on a stained glass window by creating a series of translucent charms which can be hung wherever you want a splash of color.
 
I started by spraying my molds with Mold Release.  Follow the directions on the bottle.  (I didn't and I'll show you what happened in a bit.)
 
Colorful-Cast-Resin-Window-Charms-by-Carmen-Flores-Tanis-Step-Out-1
 
Following the directions on the package, I measured equal amounts of resin and hardener into a cup and then stirred for two minutes. Then I poured the liquid into a fresh cup and stirred another two minutes with a new stir stick. This double cup system is a great way to make sure that the resin is mixed really well.
 
Colorful-Cast-Resin-Window-Charms-by-Carmen-Flores-Tanis-Step-Out-2
 
I knew I wanted to work with different colors so I poured the resin into little one ounce cups then added Transparent Dye for each different color and stirred.
 
Colorful-Cast-Resin-Window-Charms-by-Carmen-Flores-Tanis-Step-Out-3
 
Have you ever used one of those little wooden honey tools to serve honey out of a little pot? You dribble the honey from the tool onto your toast. That's how I filled the molds. The shapes were too small and too close together to try to pour the resin straight out of the cups so I used the stir sticks to dribble the resin into each mold cavity.
 
Once the molds were filled, I stacked baking sheets over them with little cups as spacers and covered the entire stack with a clean lint-free cloth to keep the dust out.
 
Colorful-Cast-Resin-Window-Charms-by-Carmen-Flores-Tanis-Step-Out-4
 
After 24 hours, I popped the cured pieces out of the molds. Rather I should say "I tried to pop" because here's an example of what happens when you don't follow the directions on the mold release bottle. I failed to do a nice even coat on the alphabet mold and most of the letters stuck. My crafty heart was sad but only for a minute because the other mold released easily and it was time to sand! (The instructions also say that candy molds are generally not usable even with a good coat of mold release.)
 
Colorful-Cast-Resin-Window-Charms-by-Carmen-Flores-Tanis-Step-Out-5
 
I took a piece of Wet/Dry 400 grit sandpaper and put it on one of my indispensable baking sheets. Then with a little bit of water I sanded each shape to flatten out the backs. ****Tip for easy cleanup: Wipe all the ground resin from the sandpaper with a wet paper towel and then toss the towel in the trash. Nice and clean!
 
Colorful-Cast-Resin-Window-Charms-by-Carmen-Flores-Tanis-Step-Out-6

 It was so easy to drill holes in the EasyCast pieces! I used a 2mm drill bit on my high speed drill and was done in minutes.
 
The last step was to string the pieces together with clear fishing line.
 
Colorful-Cast-Resin-Window-Charms-by-Carmen-Flores-Tanis-Step-Out-7

That's it! I love how the resin looks like thick pieces of glass. The EasyCast has such clarity and I didn't have to fight away bubbles which has always been a problem for me with other brands. No bubbles here!
 
Try your own spin on this project by casting different shapes in your favorite colors. It's such a fun way to bring splashes of color into your home. Enjoy!!!

Labels: , , ,