Metal and Jewelry Clay

 I know there are many jewelers who work with high end metalsmithing tools and spend a great deal of time learning their craft.
 I have only spend a few hours learning to attach metal to metal with soldering techniques and other metalsmithing tools.  I really enjoy this, but do not have space in my studio to set up a permanent bench.  
This is a piece I made several years ago.  It has sat in my "to-do" drawer because although I have sanded the edges, I feel like it might scratch me if I add it to a necklace.
 The fix has only been made possible with the addition of Jewelry Clay to my studio.
 I have shown you my FAUX SOLDERING TECHNIQUE several times on this blog.  I simply add a frame of Jewelry Clay to all my edges and then brush silver Pearl-Ex across the surface of the clay to colour it.
 My piece still has movement.  The clay cures overnight, so I simply lifted the areas I did not want to stick permanently.
Now I have a metal pendant with a softer edge.  I am thrilled with the result.

Labels: , , , ,