Embellished Shawl Pin

 Today's colourful post features a shawl pin that I added some embellishment to.
 The INSPIRE shawl pin set was originally unadorned.  
Now I know there are lots of people who would love the pin as is.  The wood grain is gorgeous.  I just can't leave it as is.  I need to add just a little bit of colour and glitter.
For my project I gathered Jewelry Clay, some glass leaves, a tool called the Crystal Katana (picks up crystals) and some diamond back crystals.  
 I placed some of our Jewelry Clay in two key locations on my wood shawl pin set.  Our clay allows me to work dimensionally, so my embellishments can be arranged so that they appear to float. 
 The first step was to place my glass leaves.  Then I added the crystals.
 When I was happy with my placement I brushed Pearl-Ex powder over my project area.  The powder will only cling to the exposed clay, colouring it with the Interference Gold I love.
 This is how I let my project air dry overnight.
The next day I simply brushed away the excess powder and my shawl pin set is now uniquely my own.

The shawl pin from INSPIRE came to me from H.A. Kidd.  They have a new Facebook page which will feature craft projects and ideas too!

I hope this idea inspires you to use Jewelry Clay in new and exciting ways.  Imagine the exact same technique on home dec projects or for those of you making miniatures.

Labels: , , , ,