High End Resin Pendant - Part One

Today I am starting a post series showing you how I work in a more difficult bezel setting.
For some of my more experienced resin workers this will make complete sense.  If you are new to this blog, please know that I consider this an intermediate project. 

What you see in the above photo is a vintage jewelry component.  I purchased it at the Bead and Button show this past summer, from a vendor who had many such unfinished pieces.  
The company is A Grain of Sand - www.agrainofsand.com. 
The arrow is pointing to a photocopy I made of that jewelry piece.

 Unique components like this are a little harder to work with because they were not designed to be used with resin.  The edges of the bezel are uneven and an over-pour is very possible.  
My project requires three things to start.
1.  A unique component.
2.  A paper image I would like to showcase permanently...in this case a fabulous art deco greeting card from the UK.
3.  The photocopy of the component.
The photocopy is my template.  It allow me to then cut out paper images that will fit into the bezel openings.
 You can see that I cut out what I wanted with ease.  My four apertures feature paper images that tell a story.
And now the most important part of my preparation.
Sealing the paper.  This is crucial.
I am using Aleen's matte decoupage to seal my paper.  The paper is card stock which means I really need to focus on the edges...so I don't end up with a resin stain.  I am going to seal my paper images 4-5 times to be absolutely sure the paper is protected.  
Then I will let everything thoroughly dry overnight.
Tomorrow, I'll tell you a little bit more about pouring in resin.

Labels: , ,