Dealing With Mistakes and Resin

My new brooch represents a series of hurdles.  
I was very close to tossing the whole project into the bin.
It started when I noticed that the open back bezel I bought was dented.  It was very strong metal and I could not flatten it.  I decided to try and work in it anyway.  As you can see I applied clear tape the the back to hold my poured resin.  This technique was explained in the post linked here.
 I added some dangles before I poured in my Jewelry Resin.
 Unfortunately, the dangles acted as a wick.....the resin just traveled down the length of the rhinestone embellishment.
 I was not too worried.  If you get to the resin at the 10 hour (or so) cure mark it is still pretty soft.  I was able to peel away the over pour.
 It looked like I had more resin outside of this bezel than in it.
In the end, I cut away the dangles.  I added one final layer of Jewelry Resin to the bezel to give it a bit of a dome.  You can still see right through the open back too!

Labels: , , ,