Monday, April 2, 2012

Dealing With Mistakes and Resin

My new brooch represents a series of hurdles.  
I was very close to tossing the whole project into the bin.
It started when I noticed that the open back bezel I bought was dented.  It was very strong metal and I could not flatten it.  I decided to try and work in it anyway.  As you can see I applied clear tape the the back to hold my poured resin.  This technique was explained in the post linked here.
 I added some dangles before I poured in my Jewelry Resin.
 Unfortunately, the dangles acted as a wick.....the resin just traveled down the length of the rhinestone embellishment.
 I was not too worried.  If you get to the resin at the 10 hour (or so) cure mark it is still pretty soft.  I was able to peel away the over pour.
 It looked like I had more resin outside of this bezel than in it.
In the end, I cut away the dangles.  I added one final layer of Jewelry Resin to the bezel to give it a bit of a dome.  You can still see right through the open back too!


  1. this is so pretty! I really like this one!

  2. Yes you would never notice that it messed up. I got my gel pens yesterday at Michael's. Thanks again for mentioning that. I haven't had a chance to play yet though. :(


Thank you so much for leaving a comment on Resin Crafts Blog! For technical questions you can email our customer service at: or via telephone @ 1-800-368-9323.