Monday, February 27, 2012

EasyMold Silicone Putty – The 24 Hour Cure Reminder

I have two new molded button shapes to show you today.  They gave me the opportunity to write a short post reminded you about a molding tip I gave you in October.
 These are the two buttons the molds were made from. 
Environmental Technology Inc's EasyMold Silicone Putty is so good it duplicates the tiniest of details!
The blog post I wrote in October explains how to make a mold.
This picture is a mistake sample.
This is what happens if you pour resin into a mold too soon.  When you make a mold with silicone putty it is cured in 25 minutes.  That is great!  You instantly have a mold with little fuss.  However, it continues to release gases for the next 24 hours.  These two samples are the result of not waiting a full 24 hours before using the mold by pouring in resin.  The resin looks like it was boiled.  In some ways I love the effect, but it doesn't make for a nice finished duplicate of the original.  The mold was not ruined.  It just wasn't ready for this pour.  After I popped out the two "mistake pieces" it was ready to use after the full 24 hours.
So, just remember to make a mold a full day or two before you need it.  I also always make a test casting before I make a good finished piece.  For today's finished samples I mixed up some Envirotex Lite and some pink powder.  (The powder was from Luminarte, but I do not believe they sell it anymore)
 The detail captured in the mold is excellent!
 I add a little gilders paste to highlight sections.
Try to make a mold sometime soon!
EasyMold Silicone Putty – Platinum Cure
Easily create molds for small impression type objects! Odorless, Non Toxic. FDA Compliant, Food Grade.
EasyMold Silicone Putty is ideal for a wide range of impression type mold applications, including Castin’Craft Clear Casting Resin, EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy, wax, baking, chocolates, ice cubes, soap, plaster, air dry clay, concrete and low melt metals! EasyMold is a easy to use, Odor Free, Non-Toxic, FDA compliant – Food Grade, two component silicone putty.
  • Easy to use, 3 Minute working time, 25 minute cure.
  • Ideal for small molds, excellent detail from original.
  • Strong, flexible, reuseable molds.
  • High Heat range, up to 400º F.
  • No Shrinkage.
  • Self releasing, no mold release agent required for most applications.

4 comments:

  1. If you're a fast worker this is okay. I tried this and am not fast enough for 3 minutes. It took almost 3 minutes just to mix the 2 part silicone together. Then to try and get impressions in it before it gets hard. And it's kind of too expensive to make mistakes with and waste it. I'd look for something that takes a little longer to get hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Diana. When I make a mold I am 100% ready with my object and I only make a mold of something important...that I will use over and over. I have some antique items from Paris that I could never use in my art...but by making a mold of them and reusing that shape I can justify their expense!

      Delete
  2. I love using silicone putty as molds for polymer clay. With polymer the wait is not necessary but I can see how important it is when using resin. Thank you so much Carmi for the important information!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on Resin Crafts Blog! For technical questions you can email our customer service at: msanchez@eti-usa.com or via telephone @ 1-800-368-9323.