Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Jewelry Resin - On Agate Slices Part TWO

 Here they are!  Even better than I had planned!  My images of the famous Klimt painting are from a paper napkin and now they look like they were specially embedded unto the slice.
 Yesterday I showed you one layer of glaze on the napkin on the agate slice.
When that cured I added some extra markings with my gell markers to highlight sections of the images.  I then applied a second glaze layer of Jewelry ResinI know many of you are waiting to get your hands on this new resin!  The fact that it de-gasses and cures this crystal clear is why my piece looks so amazing!
 I got asked a few questions that I'll answer here for everyone.  
"Where do I get my napkins?"
I never pass a kitchen specialty store without popping in to see if they have any interesting napkins.  I also hosted a napkin exchange gathering a few years ago when 12 women each brought 12 different napkin packs to the gathering which we traded.  That was a great way to build my collection.
"Do the agate slices come pre-drilled?"
Some do...and I recommend getting those as it saves you lots of work later.  The slice on the right was pre-drilled.  However, the slice on the left was not so it allowed me to work any which way I wanted.  I chose to glue a piece of metal filigree to the back to create two new attachment points.
I am very excited with these two samples!  I'll turn them into something wearable soon!

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! I'm so motivated to try resin again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous and SO creative! I love the idea of using napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the napkin exchange idea!

    Pretty napkins are such versatile craft supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What type of gel markers did you use? These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brand I use is Sakura and they are in the scrap booking section in Michaels.

      Delete
  5. I love using resin and have made quite a few necklaces in the past. I sold all of them.
    Is the demand for resin jewelry still as popular as it was a couple of years ago? I love the medium and would like to get back into it.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I'm ready to try resin again! I did not have very much luck out here in the desert. Seems lots and lots of dust particles floating in the air, but I really want to try again. And, Michael's had 3 packages of the Jewelery resin.... can't believe they only had 3, but it's better than none at all! I'm going to start looking out for napkins too. They look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on Resin Crafts Blog! For technical questions you can email our customer service at: msanchez@eti-usa.com or via telephone @ 1-800-368-9323.