Mastering Resin - One Small Project At A Time

Every now and then I get an email from a new resin artist and I worry a little.
They are just about to try pouring Envirotex Lite (or another product from Environmental Technologies Inc.) on a newly finished piece of art.  I want to email right back "wait, did you do some test pieces first?!!?!!"
 The more you experiment with resin the more you learn about what it can do.  For example, I love how it makes black really black.  I also love the glossy sheen.  And, I really appreciate how it makes my paper or collage permanently stick to a surface.  This sample is a good way to experiment.  On this board I have glued and then protected my paper images with Ultra SealYou can use mod podge to both glue and seal paper too.
 I made a small batch of Envirotex Lite and covered this one panel on my board. 
This gave me a chance to see how the resin would look over the image.  Note that it did not pour over the sides.  I used a paint brush to apply the resin.  The "glazed" rectangle looks brighter and finished.
I hope you all try a few small panels like this one before you work on a 12 x 12 finished collage.

Labels: , ,