A Post About The Resin Learning Curve

Wait.
Don't scroll down yet.
Just take one second to look at this resin covered canvas.
Don't peak at the picture below.
Here is why.
I wanted you to see the collage.  It's not bad.  I love the glossy resin coating.
But the real reason it looks good is because of my photoshop skills.
The Modigliani lady does not look this good on the original.
Okay.  Now scroll.
-
-
-
-

Here is what the collage really looks like.  My lady looks like she has a skin problem.  So this post is about what I learned when I rushed a project before learning all that I needed to know about resin.  And what I learned has been reinforced in every project I have done since.  You have to protect paper with a layer or two of a good clear coating before you pour resin onto it.  I now use Mod Podge or ETI's specialty product: Ultra Seal.  Luckily this was just a small canvas.  I was not planning to sell it or give it away as a gift.  I didn't have any important ephemera attached to it and I had not invested hours of time into it.
But if you are planning to try resin on something special you really need to experiment for a while before you throw yourself into a big project.  I used this small canvas to test a few techniques, such as how to make a nice filed edge to my corners.
This week I got a Facebook question from Debbie who was curious about using resin on a canvas.  I asked her to wait a day so I could write this post in answer to her question.  So here is my answer.  YES, Envirotex Lite is AMAZING on collaged canvases.  Many artists are creating amazing artwork with it and I myself use it all the time.  However, if you have not experimented with Envirotex Lite or any other resin I would urge you to start small. If you can create some test canvases like the one's I am showing you today you'll love what can be created later.
 These are test canvases.  I wanted to see what would happen to different types of media under resin.
 I played with acrylic paint, oil pastels, vintage and new papers.
It is amazing to see which mediums appear to float in the resin.  My papers were well protected and there are no stains or spots.  I incorporated these discoveries in my current work.
Test boards like these gave me the confidence I needed to work on larger pieces.  So before you cover a finished collage, try to make time to do some sample boards.  You'll learn a lot and hopefully when you pour your resin over a piece of finished art that it looks as perfect as you want it to.

Environmental Technology Inc. has a great You tube video you can watch for even more information about pouring on a bigger surface.  In the months to come I hope to show you some great collage art.  But I could not resist writing this fast post to give Debbie some advice right away!

Henry The 8th Update.  
OMG.  I can't wait to show you the final bezels tomorrow!

Labels: , ,